from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. A small, long-tailed African monkey (Cercopithecus aethiops) having a black face with white cheek tufts and a yellowish-brown or greenish coat. Several subspecies of vervets have been recognized within a large range including most of sub-Saharan Africa. Also called green monkey, grivet.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. A small African monkey, Cercopithecus aethiops or Chlorocebus pygerythrus, having a long tail, a black face with white cheek tufts and a greenish-brown coat
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. A South African monkey (Cercopithecus pygerythrus syn. Cercopithecus Lelandii). The upper parts are grayish green, finely specked with black. The cheeks and belly are reddish white.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. A South African monkey, Cercopithecus pygerythrus, or C. lalandi.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. South African monkey with black face and hands
French : vert, green (from Old French verd; see verdant) + (gri)vet, grivet.(American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)