American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition
- n. A small, long-tailed African monkey (Cercopithecus aethiops) having a black face with white cheek tufts and a yellowish-brown or greenish coat. Several subspecies of vervets have been recognized within a large range including most of sub-Saharan Africa. Also called green monkey, grivet.
Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. A South African monkey, Cercopithecus pygerythrus, or C. lalandi. It is one of the so-called green monkeys, closely allied to the grivet. Vervets are among the monkeys carried about by organgrinders.
- n. A small African monkey, Cercopithecus aethiops or Chlorocebus pygerythrus, having a long tail, a black face with white cheek tufts and a greenish-brown coat
GNU Webster's 1913
- n. (Zoöl.) A South African monkey (Cercopithecus pygerythrus syn. Cercopithecus Lelandii). The upper parts are grayish green, finely specked with black. The cheeks and belly are reddish white.
- n. South African monkey with black face and hands
- French : vert, green (from Old French verd; see verdant) + (gri)vet, grivet. (American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)
“Now, your first thought is probably, What the hell is 'vervet'?”
“This surprise sighting – I learn later the gazelle is a Red Duiker – is followed moments later by a family of vervet monkeys chatting high in the treetops, feasting on fruit and playing monkey games in the branches overhead.”
“The vervet monkey demonstrates this kind of behaviour, rearing up to look about it for danger.”
“He would see what happens to vervet monkeys every single month at Aberdeen Proving Ground in Maryland: in a crude simulation of a nerve agent attack, the monkeys are given a massive overdose of a drug called physostigmine.”
“These simulators, unlike vervet monkeys, can be placed in outdoor areas to recreate conditions in which such an attack might actually occur.”
“In the last year alone, I've been knocked to the curb by a cyclist, aggressively attacked by vervet monkeys, and struck in the face with a stick by an emasculated chimpanzee.”
“Zinzi December's animal is a sloth, boyfriend Benoît harbours a mongoose; other denizens of Zoo City the run down area of Johannesburg which has become a ghetto for the "animalled" have attracted scorpions, sunbirds, vervet monkeys.”
“Or so he thought until he picked up the shaving mirror on the nightstand to inspect his mummified head and noticed the vervet tied behind him to the bedpost, trying to catch a glimpse of its own bemused reflection.”
“At breakfast, vervet monkeys splashed down onto low branches, convinced that today they were going to nail the buffet.”
“In addition, Goodall was sent to study the vervet monkey, which lives on an island in Lake Victoria.”
These user-created lists contain the word ‘vervet’.
big ones,small ones,as many as
I can find
Looking for tweets for vervet.