Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. A general term for one of many kinds of wheels or disks used in machinery as a convenient form of circular crank: as, the hand-wheel of a car-brake.
- n. mechanics Any wheel worked by hand, whether used to allow leverage, as of a valve or a handbrake, or to allow fine adjustment, as of a setscrew.
GNU Webster's 1913
- n. (Mach.) Any wheel worked by hand; esp., one the rim of which serves as the handle by which a valve, car brake, or other part is adjusted.
- n. control consisting of a wheel whose rim serves as the handle by which a part is operated
- n. a wheel worked by hand
“With the handwheel, raise the take-up lever to its highest position.”
“With your right hand, turn the balance wheel, or handwheel, one complete turn.”
“Sweep forward two full turns of the handwheel and then one turn back.”
“He closed the hatch behind them, whirling the handwheel.”
“Gröschl stepped on the rocker plate which controlled the power traverse and at the same time adjusted the elevation handwheel.”
“The device is operated by a pushrod (5) which is either connected to a handwheel (6) - requiring a thread on the pushrod and a nut in the handwheel”
“Directly above his head and within reach was a circular manhole, counterweighted and operated by a handwheel set in its center.”
“They'd alternate at the hydraulic aiming system and the handwheel which recharged the batteries that drove it.”
“I guess so, " he mumbled, and turned the handwheel to undog the outer door.”
“I guess so," he mumbled, and turned the handwheel to undog the outer door.”
These user-created lists contain the word ‘handwheel’.
List of words and phrases referring to the hand, hands, fist, or derivatives of the Latin manus, beginning with left-handed.
A list of words that are odd or words that I have looked up.
Looking for tweets for handwheel.