from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. A man employed to execute condemned prisoners by hanging.
- n. A game in which one player chooses a word whose letters are guessed at by another player. For each wrong guess, a new part of the stick figure of a hanging man is drawn.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. An executioner responsible for hanging criminals.
- n. A guessing game where one has to guess the word an opponent is thinking of by guessing one letter at a time, and involving the gradual drawing of a stick figure hanging from the gallows.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. One who hangs another; esp., one who makes a business of hanging; a public executioner; -- sometimes used as a term of reproach, without reference to office.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. One who hangs another; a public executioner: sometimes used merely as a term of reproach.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. an executioner who hangs the condemned person
Sorry, no etymologies found.