from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. A fictional race of small humanoids with shaggy hair and hairy feet.
- n. A member of any race of small humans or hominids.
- n. A Welsh unit of weight, equal to four Welsh pecks, or 168 pounds
- n. An old unit of volume (2½ bushels, the volume of 168 pounds of wheat).
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. an imaginary being similar to a person but smaller and with hairy feet; invented by J.R.R. Tolkien
Probably from hoppet, hobbet, (a basket). (Wiktionary)