from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. A flat U-shaped metal plate fitted and nailed to the bottom of a horse's hoof for protection.
- n. A U-shaped object similar to a horseshoe.
- n. A game in which players toss horseshoes or horseshoe-shaped metal pieces at a stake so as to encircle it or come closer to it than the other players.
- transitive v. To fit with horseshoes.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. The U-shaped metallic shoe of a horse.
- n. A U-shaped piece of metal used to play the game horseshoes.
- n. The U shape of a horseshoe.
- n. A well-developed set of triceps brachii muscles.
- n. The symbol ⊃.
- v. To apply horseshoes to a horse.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. A shoe for horses, consisting of a narrow plate of iron in form somewhat like the letter U, nailed to a horse's hoof.
- n. Anything shaped like a horsehoe, such as a U-shaped bend in a river.
- n. The Limulus or horsehoe crab.
- n. A game in which horseshoes or horseshoe-shaped objects (usually made of metal) are thrown at either of two stakes fixed in the ground at a distance of 30 to 40 feet apart. The player stands at or near one stake and throws several the horseshoes at the other stake. Points are scored when the player throws the horseshoe so that it surrounds the stake; fewer points are scored if the horseshoe is close to but not surrounding the stake. The players take turns and the first player to achieve the target score wins.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. A shoe for a horse, consisting commonly of a narrow plate of iron bent into a form somewhat resembling the letter U, so as to accommodate itself to the shape of the horse's foot.
- n. Anything shaped like a horseshoe.
- n. In zoology: A horseshoe-crab.
- n. A bivalve mollusk, Lutraria elliptica. Also called clump.
- n. plural The game of quoits, in which horseshoes are often used for pitching.
- To provide with horseshoes, or shape like a horseshoe.
- In architecture, to carry inward at the imposts, as an arch, so as to bring it approximately to the form of a horseshoe.
- n. Nautical, a composition strap bent in the form of a horseshoe and used for fastening the stem to the keel.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. U-shaped plate nailed to underside of horse's hoof
- v. equip (a horse) with a horseshoe or horseshoes
- n. game equipment consisting of an open ring of iron used in playing horseshoes
From horse + shoe. (Wiktionary)