American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition
- adv. In a human way.
- adv. Within the scope of human means, capabilities, or powers: not humanly possible.
- adv. According to human experience or knowledge: Humanly speaking, the recession was not severe.
Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- In a human manner; after the manner of men; according to human knowledge or belief: as, humanly speaking, it is impossible.
- Kindly; humanely.
- adv. In a human manner.
GNU Webster's 1913
- adv. In a human manner; after the manner of men; according to the knowledge or wisdom of men.
- adv. obsolete Kindly; humanely.
- adv. in the manner of human beings
“Jim Dyckman and Charity Coe Cheever: the problem that Kedzie was going to seem to solve -- as one solves any problem humanly, which is by substituting one or more new problems in place of the old.”
“I don't know why it shouldn't make me -- humanly, which is what we're speaking of -- as right as it makes you.”
“All this is quite as naturally and "humanly" conceived and written on St Paul's part as anything that I or my reader ever wrote about joys and griefs, our own or of our friends.”
“The local police catch them and give them rabies shots, shoot a plastic tag into their ears and 'humanly' release them back into the 'wild'.”
“It had pleased her "humanly", she told Mr Verini, adding "but ...".”
“I want, in other words, to speak about religious faith as a process of educating our vision and educating our passions; educating our vision so that we understand how to see that we don't see, how to see behind surfaces, the depth that we're not going to master; educating our passions in the sense of helping us to grow up 'humanly' in such a way that we don't take fright at this strangeness and mysteriousness and run away for all we're worth.”
“If you were to do so, you would have to do it responsibly and with as much love for all concerned—including your wife—as humanly possible.”
“I fought every urge to run at him in a blind frenzy, tearing his eyes out, biting off his ears, any savage thing I could humanly think of.”
Looking for tweets for humanly.