from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- adj. Of, involving, moved by, or operated by a fluid, especially water, under pressure.
- adj. Able to set and harden under water, as Portland cement.
- adj. Of or relating to hydraulics.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- adj. Pertaining to water
- adj. Related to hydraulics
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- adj. Of or pertaining to hydraulics, or to fluids in motion; conveying, or acting by, water.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- Pertaining or relating to fluids in motion, or to hydraulics. See hydraulics.
- The larger or lifting piston of a hydraulic press.
- In mining, to work by the hydraulic-mining process.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- adj. moved or operated or effected by liquid (water or oil)
- adj. of or relating to the study of hydraulics
Weber, finds the source of Oriental Despotism (1957) in what he defines as the hydraulic society.
When the vessels have discharged all their precious liquid, the cauldron into which the metal has been poured is swung in mid-air by that unseen, effortless power which we know as hydraulic pressure, through the arc of
The process is known as hydraulic fracturing or "fracking."
Indeed, there is a growing body of evidence showing that the most common method of extracting shale gas, which is known as hydraulic fracturing, or fracking, can be ruinous to the local environment, particularly the groundwater.
It was called a hydraulic jack, and was used for lifting the left or right half of a vehicle off the ground.
Places in hydraulic clamp which holds the shaft; the grip is attached to the shaft.
Netherlands, one of the greatest works of all times in hydraulic engineering.
This indicated that the main hydraulic system had been cut, and there was no pressure to actuate the doors: thus when the bombs-away signal was given, the bombs (eight 1,000 pounders) were dropped through the closed doors.
He has also multiplied by 2%2, large and readily predictable items such as the cost of generating stations proper; by this I mean the buildings and apparatus, exclusive of the dam and main hydraulic works.
The process by which shale gas is recovered is called hydraulic fracturing, or "fracking."
Wordnik is becoming a not-for-profit! Read our announcement here.