from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. Someone who identifies; a person who establishes the identity of.
- n. Something that identifies or uniquely points to something or someone else.
- n. A guidebook that helps determine the specific class of an object (such as a mushroom, herb, fish, bird, drug, or mineral), or its individual identity (such as that of a star).
- n. A formal name used in source code to refer to a variable, function, procedure, package, etc. or in an operating system to refer to a process, user, group, etc.
- n. A primary key.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. One who recognizes and proves the identity of others, especially of criminals.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. a symbol that establishes the identity of the one bearing it
to identify + -er (Wiktionary)