from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- adj. Wedged together at the broken ends. Used of a fractured bone.
- adj. Placed in the alveolus in a manner prohibiting eruption into a normal position. Used of a tooth.
- adj. Wedged or packed in, so as to fill or block an organ or a passage: impacted feces.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- v. Simple past tense and past participle of impact.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- adj. Driven together or close.
- adj. Grown in an abnormal direction so that it is wedged against another tooth and cannot erupt normally; -- of teeth, especially the third molar.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- adj. wedged or packed in together
Sorry, no etymologies found.
Johnson may want to reconsider his use of the word "impacted".
Van Horn continued to smoke on while the sharp, needle-like spray of the rain impacted soothingly on his heated body.
Filter-feeding organisms, invertebrate worms, corals, sea fans - all of those were substantially impacted - and by impacted, I mean essentially killed....
His regard for the written word impacted Lee's sensibility as surely as his respect for the law.
The interview kicks off with Linkov discussing the Toyota Prius being named the Best Green Car, addressing questions of how recalls impacted the choice.
A barrage of robo calls impacted the closest races.
"Father and I," he said to himself, as the sudden shock of the idea impacted against his consciousness, "are SUPPORTING that whole mob."
Filter-feeding organisms, invertebrate worms, corals, sea fans - all of those were substantially impacted - and by impacted, I mean essentially killed.
The recall impacted seven brands of Boston Scientific defibrillators: COGNIS®, CONFIENT ™, LIVIAN ™, PRIZM ™, RENEWAL®,
Other Pharma also experienced a particularly soft quarter, as the back order issues discussed on the Q2 call impacted our ability to supply to certain contract manufacturing customers.
Wordnik is becoming a not-for-profit! Read our announcement here.