from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. A place or condition suggestive of hell, especially with respect to human suffering or death: the inferno of battle.
- n. A place of fiery heat or destruction.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. Hell-like place or situation.
- n. A large fire, a conflagration (Wikipedia)
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. The infernal regions; hell.
- n. A raging fire.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. Hell; the infernal regions.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. (Christianity) the abode of Satan and the forces of evil; where sinners suffer eternal punishment
- n. any place of pain and turmoil
- n. a very intense and uncontrolled fire
Italian, hell, from Late Latin īnfernus; see infernal.(American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)
From Italian inferno ("hell"), from Latin infernus ("of the lower regions"), inferna ("the lower regions"); see infernal. (Wiktionary)