from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. The act of interning or confining, especially in wartime.
- n. The state of being interned; confinement.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. Confinement within narrow limits, as of foreign troops, to the interior of a country.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. Confinement within narrow limits, -- as of foreign troops, to the interior of a country.
- n. Confining within a country for the duration of a war; -- usually of citizens of a hostile power.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. The state or condition of being interned; confinement, as of prisoners of war, in the interior of a country.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. placing private property in the custody of an officer of the law
- n. confinement during wartime
- n. the act of confining someone in a prison (or as if in a prison)
Sorry, no etymologies found.