from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. Any of several food and game fishes of the drum family, especially of the genus Menticirrhus, indigenous to warm Atlantic waters.
- n. Any of several similar or related fishes, indigenous to the Pacific Ocean.
- n. Informal A person in a position of uncontested authority or influence, especially a powerful political leader.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. Any of several food fishes of the genus Menticirrhus from the Atlantic.
- n. Any of several similar fishes of the Pacific.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. An American marine food fish of the genus Menticirrus, especially Menticirrus saxatilis, or Menticirrus nebulosos, of the Atlantic coast; -- called also whiting, surf whiting, and barb.
- n. The opah.
- n. The common cero; also, the spotted cero. See cero.
- n. The queenfish.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. One of various fishes, of large size or of excellent quality, belonging to different families
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. the lean flesh of any of several fish caught off the Atlantic coast of the United States
- n. any of several food and game fishes of the drum family indigenous to warm Atlantic waters of the North American coast
- n. large game fish of Australia and New Zealand
- n. large edible mackerel of temperate United States coastal Atlantic waters
- n. small silvery marine food fish found off California
Sorry, no etymologies found.