from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. Nautical The person using the lead line in taking soundings.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. lodesman (a leader or guide)
- n. A sailor who takes soundings with a lead, measuring the depth of water.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. The man who heaves the lead.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. One who leads the way.
- n. Nautical, a seaman who heaves the lead.
From the Middle English ledes-man ("a military commander”, “a general"); equivalent to leads (the genitive form of lead: “a leading”, “a directing”, “a guiding”) + man. (Wiktionary)
leads (the genitive form of lead: “heavy base metal” = the Latin plumbum) + man (Wiktionary)