from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. The lash of a whip.
- n. An injury to the cervical spine caused by an abrupt jerking motion of the head, either backward or forward.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. the lash of a whip
- n. an injury to the upper spine caused by a violent jerk of the head in either a backward or forward or side to side direction
- v. To jerk back and forth; to buffet
- v. To lash as if with a whip
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. The lash of a whip, -- usually made of thongs of leather, or of cords, braided or twisted.
- n. a sudden change of direction, resembling the motion of the tip of a whip when it is cracked.
- n. a stinging psychological effect reminiscent of being stung by a whip.
- n. a whiplash injury.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. The lash, or pliant part, of a whip.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. an injury to the neck (the cervical vertebrae) resulting from rapid acceleration or deceleration (as in an automobile accident)
- n. a quick blow delivered with a whip or whiplike object
whip + lash (Wiktionary)