from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. A three-pronged spear used in fishing.
- transitive v. To spear (a fish) with a leister.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. a spear armed with three or more barbed prongs for catching fish
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. A spear armed with three or more prongs, for striking fish.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. A barbed spear having three or more prongs, for striking and taking fish; a salmon-spear. Also called waster.
- To strike or take with a leister.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. a spear with three or more prongs; used for spearing fish (especially salmon)
Probably from Old Norse ljōstr, from ljōsta, to strike; see leu- in Indo-European roots.(American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)