from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. A commissioned rank in the U.S. Army, Air Force, or Marine Corps that is above major general and below general.
- n. One who holds this rank.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. See in Vocabulary.
- n. An army officer in rank next below a general and next above a major general.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. A military officer ranking in the United States and British armies next below a general.
- n. In the proprietary government of Maryland, the deputy of the proprietor, who acted as governor of the province for him.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. a general officer ranking above a major general and below a full general
Sorry, no etymologies found.