from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. A sailor's stew made of meat, vegetables, and hardtack.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. A dish of meat stewed with vegetables and ship biscuit.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. A combination of meat with vegetables, bread, etc., usually stewed, sometimes baked; an olio.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. A dish made of pilot-biscuit, stewed in water with pieces of salt meat.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. a stew of meat and vegetables and hardtack that is eaten by sailors
Perhaps dialectal lob, to bubble + scouse, of unknown origin.(American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)
From German Labskaus (Wiktionary)