from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. A great work, especially a literary or artistic masterpiece.
- n. The greatest single work of an artist, writer, or composer.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. A great work of literature or art, a masterpiece.
- n. The best, most popular, or most renowned achievement of an author or artist, representing his major life effort.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. A great work of art or literature.
- n. The greatest work or achievement of a particular artist, writer, or other individual.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. a great work of art or literature
Latin : magnum, neuter of magnus, great + opus, work.(American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)
From Latin magnum opus ("great work"). (Wiktionary)
Sorry, no example sentences found.
Wordnik is becoming a not-for-profit! Read our announcement here.