from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. The chief unmarried woman attendant of a bride.
- n. An unmarried noblewoman attendant upon a queen or princess.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. The primary woman who attends the bride at a wedding ceremony.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. the bride's principle attendant at a wedding, if unmarried. If married, she is referred to as the matron of honor.
- n. a female attendant of a queen or royal princess; -- usually of noble family, and having to perform only nominal or honorary duties.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. an unmarried woman who attends the bride at a wedding
Sorry, no etymologies found.