from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. A large wooden percussion instrument with resonators, resembling a xylophone.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. A musical instrument similar to a xylophone but clearer in pitch.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. A musical istrument of percussion, consisting of bars yielding musical tones when struck.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. An African musical instrument formed of a number of strips of wood of various sizes yielding different notes when struck by a hammer. The sound is often reinforced by resonators formed from calabashes placed underneath.
- n. In the Kongo region and Angola, a name of a musical instrument with iron keys; the sansa.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. a percussion instrument with wooden bars tuned to produce a chromatic scale and with resonators; played with small mallets
From "Bach on Wood" (a marimba, that is) and Vivaldi on the Japanese Koto, to Schubert on a wood-cutting saw and Wagner on power tools, dozens of classical composers have been subjected to strange arrangements.
Czech, as they call it in show business, he studied at the top with his father and Secor after he entered the National Conservatory, where, despite not having completed the race, gained solid knowledge that enabled him to replace his parent from the day of his death in 1968, in which it owned and ran marimba, which is why he saw it clear to interrupt their studies because it required the commitment of its permanent presence in the set.
And attentive music fans who know that much has been made about the White Stripes 'inclusion of a marimba song on their new album, "Get Behind Me Satan," ought to consider that a "marimba" search on the Global Sounds site delivers seven pages of results.
Some sites keep mentioning a toy piano/triangle sound on one of their songs as opposed to the marimba which is also on stage.
"We will have the National Marimba Ensemble from Guatemala, where the marimba is the national instrument by law.
But the marimba is a luscious big round-sounding instrument, "he said.
There were a large number of elements to our work, but it seems the real crowd pleasers were the 'watering hole', the 'marimba' and the 'newspaper', "said Gerd
How can you dislike a town whose main plaza is known as Marimba Park where free marimba concerts are held every weekend while locals sit around eating ice cream or drinking beer and enjoying the pleasant cool tropical evenings?
Amateur band performs Super Mario theme on marimba - Boing Boing
The multi-course meal was served while an amazing marimba orchestra played.
Wordnik is becoming a not-for-profit! Read our announcement here.