American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition
- n. A percussion instrument consisting of a mounted row of wooden bars graduated in length to sound a chromatic scale, played with two small mallets.
Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. A musical instrument consisting of a graduated series of wooden bars, often supported on bands of straw, and sounded by means of small wooden hammers or by rubbing with rosined gloves. The tone is often agreeable and effective. Also gigelira, sticcada, and strawfiddle.
- n. a musical instrument made of wooden slats graduated so as to make the sounds of the scale when struck with a small drumstick-like hammer.
GNU Webster's 1913
- n. (Mus.) An instrument common among the Russians, Poles, and Tartars, consisting of a series of strips of wood or glass graduated in length to the musical scale, resting on belts of straw, and struck with two small hammers. Called in Germany
strohfiedel, or straw fiddle.
- n. An instrument to determine the vibrative properties of different kinds of wood.
- n. a percussion instrument with wooden bars tuned to produce a chromatic scale and with resonators; played with small mallets
- From xylo- (“of wood”) + -phone (“sound”). (Wiktionary)
“More importantly, I believe the xylophone is a painfully under-utilized instrument.”
“The xylophone is a species of harmonica composed of strips or cylinders of wood, struck with two little hammers.”
“David, another interesting part in the studio version of "Tell It To The Rain" that you might have noticed is the xylophone, which is duplicated by the guitar in the introduction of”
“I vomited at the thought of one more weirdie-beardy, ski-cap-wearing indie band shoving a glockenspiel in my face (and can we knock it off and just call it a "xylophone" maybe already?), and at first listen I'll have to confess at having no great jones to have another round of this.”
“You cannot blame people if they cannot manage such compl ... "dm10003 said:" i think the xylophone is a subliminal cu m shot of ridicule by the producers. good thing the soul is ... ”
“First, "neutrality" means simply that everything on the Internet must travel at the same speed, whether it's the Bluetooth device that connects my cardiac monitor to a hospital or a kid downloading a video of a cat playing the xylophone.”
“A six-story-high microtonal xylophone that can produce smaller intervals between achievable tones than are heard when playing conventional Western musical scales.”
“Ah yes, the landscape is poor and there is more concrete than anyone needs but we have music that involves more than a xylophone and we can buy groceries at all national chains as well as the various mercados sprinkled about the city ..”
“We were awakened each morning by a Filipino steward playing a xylophone while calling out "First call for breakfast.”
“The instrumental passages allowed all the musicians to solo, with no more emphasis on such traditional instruments as balafon a wooden-keyed xylophone and congas than electric guitar and bass.”
These user-created lists contain the word ‘xylophone’.
relating to sound
This is the place to add words you'd like Charles Harrington Elster to pronounce for you!
Words that are a pain in the ass to type in on a numerical keypad on a cell phone because they have consecutive letters that share the same button:
2 - ABC
3 - DEF
4 - GHI...
These are musical instruments or mythological figures instead!
Compare with "phono-, phon-, -phony"
(a list specifically "relating to sound") by hap_e_wordnik.
I'm just phoning it in these days (obviously).
xylo is Greek for wood
xylophone is listed 37 times
My big word list.
Some words of from XTC songs that I like or for some reason stand out. That and a dollar will get you a ride on the bus.
of or relating to wood
Organ stops, that is.
Looking for tweets for xylophone.