from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. The rank or territory of a marquis.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. The territory held by a marquis or margrave.
- n. The state or rank of a marquis.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. The seigniory, dignity, or lordship of a marquis; the territory governed by a marquis.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. The dignity or lordship of a marquis; when used with reference to Germany, a margravate.
From marquis + -ate. (Wiktionary)