from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- adv. Perhaps; possibly.
- n. Informal An uncertainty: There are so many maybes involved in playing the stock market.
- n. Informal An uncertain reply: It's better to receive a fast and honest no than a drawn-out maybe.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- adv. Modifies a verb, indicating a lack of certainty.
- adv. perhaps that is true (expressing no commitment to a decision or a neutral viewpoint to a statement)
- adj. Possible; uncertain.
- n. Something that is possibly true.
- n. An answer that shows neither agreement nor disagreement.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- v. are used as equivalent to possibly, perhaps, maybe, by chance, peradventure. See 1st Maybe.
- adv. Perhaps; possibly; peradventure.
- adj. Possible; probable, but not sure.
- n. Possibility; uncertainty.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- Perhaps; possibly; probably.
- Possible; uncertain.
- n. Something that may be or happen; a possibility or probability.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- adv. by chance
From an ellipsis of it may be, equivalent to may + be. Compare mayhap. (Wiktionary)