from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- adv. Perhaps; possibly.
- n. Informal An uncertainty: There are so many maybes involved in playing the stock market.
- n. Informal An uncertain reply: It's better to receive a fast and honest no than a drawn-out maybe.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- adv. Modifies a verb, indicating a lack of certainty.
- adv. perhaps that is true (expressing no commitment to a decision or a neutral viewpoint to a statement)
- adj. Possible; uncertain.
- n. Something that is possibly true.
- n. An answer that shows neither agreement nor disagreement.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- adj. Possible; probable, but not sure.
- adv. Perhaps; possibly; peradventure.
- n. Possibility; uncertainty.
- v. are used as equivalent to possibly, perhaps, maybe, by chance, peradventure. See 1st Maybe.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- Perhaps; possibly; probably.
- Possible; uncertain.
- n. Something that may be or happen; a possibility or probability.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- adv. by chance
We get maybe, *maybe*, one good week a month as women.
Now I'll let it sit and ferment for a week or so until I don't know each page by heart and can maybe, _maybe_, see the typos in front of my face.
Sony's Memory Stick PRO-HG Duo HX offers an industry leading 30MB per second transfer rate, which means Handycam users can upload video clips in a fraction of actual playback time. maybe, * maybe* reconsidering my planned Pentax K7-for-multi-lens-video purchase ....
The crowd was going wild here in Venice, it was a time before the war, when something was twirling down from up high, maybe a screw from a gas socket, a technician adjusting a light over ringside, sheer clumsiness but making pressure waves as only in the air a disturbance could in those days, maybe a harbinger of something dark and brooding over the borders of Europe, maybe the Belgian border, a border where history tells us that Eddy Merckx's grandmother was at that hour going into her labour.
David, Just wanted to say Thanks for the entertainment you have provided for the last 6 months or so...its been great for me as it allowed me the opportunity to just kind of escape for a little while when I would read your blogs and just try envision it all..and perhaps maybe in several years when my girls are off to college and I can think about some great adventure for myself..maybe not as wild as yours but hopefully just as enlightening.
Both on the ease with which the female sailor has been made a mouthpiece, and how the goal is for the Iranians to throw enough confusing shit up in the air through her mouth and letters that both the Left and enemy-lovers like Freder are quick to start "well, maybe there IS something to the Turney confessions..maybe we are in a situation of moral equivalency"
Do you even know, can you know, what that missed opportunity means to her kids, or her family, or maybe her friends..maybe she’s very very obese, and you could have bothered a little bit more, and made a massive impact?
When I couldn't see why, he told me about investigations he had his men, like I'm going to be, make, and sometimes they get a 'scoop' on the men appointed to do the job, and he told me he had a 'scoop' on this, and if I saw trouble coming toward my boss, I was to tell him and maybe -- he didn't say sure, but _maybe_ he'd do something. "
Nobody will know it till then, and maybe -- _maybe_ I shall be dead by that time, or the world will burn up! "
Right now I'd only rather have Fitzgerald or A. Johnson than him (maybe, * maybe*
Wordnik is becoming a not-for-profit! Read our announcement here.