from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- adv. Archaic Perhaps; perchance.
- n. Chance or uncertainty; doubt.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- adv. perchance or maybe; perhaps
- n. chance, doubt or uncertainty
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- adv. By chance; perhaps; it may be; if; supposing.
- n. Chance; hap; hence, doubt; question.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- Perchance; perhaps; it may be.
- n. Doubt; question; uncertainty.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- adv. by chance
- n. doubt or uncertainty as to whether something is the case
Middle English per aventure, from Old French, by chance : per, through (from Latin; see per) + aventure, chance; see adventure.(American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)
Middle English peraventure, from Old French par aventure. Spelling modified as though from Latin. (Wiktionary)