from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- adj. Self-referential; at a higher level
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- In inorganic chem., among the different types of periodic, phosphoric, arsenious, arsenic, boracic, and silicic: acids, a prefix used in the name of that which contains the least proportion of hydrogen.
- As a prefix to the names of benzene derivations, it signifies that atoms or radicals substituting two, three, or four of the hydrogen atoms of benzene have the positions (if all six hydrogen atoms of the original benzene be numbered consecutively from 1 to 6) 1 and 3, 1, 2, and 4, or 1, 2, 3, and 5, respectively. This arrangement is spoken of as asymmetric. In geology, it is used to denote change, transformation, or metamorphism, but differently in different instances. In one case the rock-name to which it is prefixed accords with the present character of the rock, and the prefix meta- indicates that it has been developed by processes of metamorphism: as, meta-diorite, a diorite which has resulted from metamorphism, possibly of a gabbro. In another case the rock name describes the rock as it was before metamorphism: as, meta-diabase, for an altered diabase.
- n. In Roman antiquity, a conical column or post, or, usually, a group of three such posts, at each end of the spina of a circus, serving to mark the place of turning; a turning-post.
- n. A prefix in words of Greek origin or formation, meaning ‘among, between, with, after, beyond, over,’ etc., often denoting change or transformation (like L. trans-), in which denotation it is much used in the formation of new terms in science. :
· An example is worth a thousand words: it "Should create a sub-pub if posting to a meta-pub" do m = meta (@meta) c = Ape:: Collection. new (m. href) entry = new_entry (: title = >
The word meta means “transcending or more comprehensive.”
In an HTML file, the title meta tag is found in the header:
You will then write 4-5 words in the title meta tags relating to the keyword.
The term meta-search is used to describe the paradigm of searching multiple data sources in real-time.
I'm wondering if there's a way to put a database field into the title meta tag.
Sets the title meta data for the destination video
There is a music in the noise; what they call the meta-game in modern poker theory.
Which illustrates something which I call a meta-issue that often happens in discussions here at RedState or elsewhere between conservatives and many on the left: the right wants to present an underlying set of principles from which it then can analyze issues and come up with positions/solutions.
This was not the case: 'economics is a "derived" science which accepts instructions from what I call meta-economics.
Wordnik is becoming a not-for-profit! Read our announcement here.