from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. The science that deals with measurement.
- n. A system of measurement.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. The science of weights and measures or of measurement.
- n. A system of weights and measures.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. The science of, or a system of, weights and measures; also, a treatise on the subject.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. The science of weights and measures.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. the scientific study of measurement
French métrologie, from Greek metrologiā, theory of ratios : metron, measure; see mē-2 in Indo-European roots + -logiā, -logy.(American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)
From Ancient Greek μέτρον (metron, "measure") + -logy. (Wiktionary)