American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition
- n. The portion of the vertebrate brain that develops from the middle section of the embryonic brain.
Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. The mesencephalon. See cuts under encephalon.
- n. A part of the brain located rostral to the pons and caudal to the thalamus and the basal ganglia, composed of the tectum (dorsal portion) and the tegmentum (ventral portion).
GNU Webster's 1913
- n. (Anat.) The middle segment of the brain; the mesencephalon. See brain.
- n. the middle portion of the brain
- mid- + brain (Wiktionary)
“Strong responses to near-wins were detected in the midbrain, which is packed with dopamine-releasing brain cells and is an area associated with addiction.”
“We are creating the world's most trusted encyclopedia and knowledge base. log in, you'll be able to edit this page instantly! mesencephalon (also called midbrain) tectum mesencephali (dorsal)”
“Insets show the rescue of brain parts such as midbrain-hindbrain boundary (arrow) in the embryos coinjected with rp l11mRNA, but not in GFP mRNA-coinjected embryos.”
“Lateral view.]] mesencephalon (also called midbrain) tectum mesencephali (dorsal)”
“If one of the underdog candidates like Newt Gingrich, Rick Santorum, Ron Paul, or Jon Huntsman wins, the midbrain dopamine system will light up and provide us with the unpleasant sensation of a prediction gone wrong.”
“BRUMFIEL: Dopamine is produced by neurons in the midbrain.”
“Normally, sensors in the midbrain, called autoreceptors, keep dopamine at the right level.”
“In the obese women, the images triggered a strong response in the ventral tegmental area (VTA), a tiny spot in the midbrain where dopamine, the "desire chemical," is released.”
“As expected, wins activated the reward pathways in the region called the midbrain.”
“When we smell something, the information is sent straight to the amygdala a part of the midbrain involved with emotions and memory, and it affects our brain chemistry.”
These user-created lists contain the word ‘midbrain’.
ruptured blood ve..., clot, pressure on a blo..., tumor, brain region, comprehension of ..., production of mea..., autonomic nervous..., conservation of t..., catecholamine, arousal, regulation of sleep and 564 more...
"cerebral" cerebral terms
Looking for tweets for midbrain.