from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. A dunghill or refuse heap.
- n. Archaeology A mound or deposit containing shells, animal bones, and other refuse that indicates the site of a human settlement. Also called kitchen midden.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. A dungheap.
- n. A refuse heap usually near a dwelling.
- n. prehistoric pile of bones and shells.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. A dunghill.
- n. An accumulation of refuse about a dwelling place; especially, an accumulation of shells or of cinders, bones, and other refuse on the supposed site of the dwelling places of prehistoric tribes, -- as on the shores of the Baltic Sea and in many other places. See Kitchen middens.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. A dunghill; a muck-heap; a receptacle for kitchen refuse, ashes, etc. See midding. [Prov. Eng. and Scotch.] Specifically
- n. A prehistoric muck-heap; a kitchenmidden.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. (archeology) a mound of domestic refuse containing shells and animal bones marking the site of a prehistoric settlement
- n. a heap of dung or refuse
Molecular analysis of a 11,700 year-old rodent midden from the Atacama Desert, Chile.
And they're basing it on comparison with things like modern octopuses, which are known to create what are known as midden piles, but there's a bit of an extrapolation.
Imagine a kitchen-midden, that is to say the detritus of ordinary living in different ages, accumulated along the side of some ancient water course, having for its dimensions miles in length, extending hundreds of yards back from the margin of this creek, of tens and tens of thousands of years ago, and having a depth of often many feet along this water course.
The midden is the site of the restored Mansion at Tuckahoe in the Indian RiverSide Park.
What you need to learn to look for is what's called a midden heap, which [are] the remains of the octopus's meals.
And her flighty grown-up daughter, Jenny, stalks out of what she terms a "midden" to seek a better life.
Packrats in Utah's Great Basin built and live in this "midden" beneath a juniper tree, their major if slightly toxic food source.
Het is totale waanzin om een 13 jarig meisje de wereld rond te laten varen in het deense bootje van 8 meter. golven van 14 meter zijn zaken die aan de orde komen midden op zee.
Our ancestors used to toss their garbage on the village midden.
It was cemented into a pack rat midden with years of detritus and excrement.
Wordnik is becoming a not-for-profit! Read our announcement here.