from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. The central or principal vein of a leaf.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. The strengthened vein down the middle of a flower petal or leaf.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. A continuation of the petiole, extending from the base to the apex of the lamina of a leaf.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. In botany, the middle (often the only) rib or nerve of a leaf; a continuation of the petiole, extending from the base to the apex of the lamina. See nervation.
- n. In apiculture, the septum or partition between the two sheets of cells which are found in every comb. Phin, Dict. Apiculture, Int., p. xiii.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. the vein in the center of a leaf
Sorry, no etymologies found.