from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. The minimum number of ten adult Jews or, among the Orthodox, Jewish men required for a communal religious service.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. The minimum number of ten adult Jews required for a communal religious service.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. A quorum, or number necessary, for conducting public worship.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. In Jewish use, count; number; specifically, the number of ten males above thirteen years of age required for public worship and other religious practices in the synagogue.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. the quorum required by Jewish law to be present for public worship (at least ten males over thirteen years of age)
A minyan is a quorum of at least 10 Jewish adults required for public worship.
For example, you need at least 10 people, called a minyan, to say certain prayers.
Mr. Staley also tells of the fun he had, in the early '90s, marshaling a "minyan" of Texans for the funds to "get I.B. Singer's archive out of New York."
She says her estrangement from religious observance came when as a teenager she was not counted toward a prayer "minyan" after the death of her mother.
Gatherings of some groups, called "minyan" in Hebrew, include some ideas that break traditional rules on the involvement of women.
As of opening day, a "minyan" of Jewish players were on major league rosters:
The SOJA will ensure that there is a minimum quota or "minyan" of Jewish players on every professional sports team.
SOJA will ensure a minimum quota or "minyan" of Jewish players on every professional sports team.
Since Kolakowski's arrival two years ago, the congregation is able to hold services with its Biblically required "minyan" or quorum of 10 men "most weeks," Kolakowski says.
"Before the rabbi left, I received a phone call from a guy who wondered what we would do if we didn't have a minyan, which is kind of like a quorum.
Wordnik is becoming a not-for-profit! Read our announcement here.