from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. Roman Catholic Church A book containing all the prayers and responses necessary for celebrating the Mass throughout the year.
- n. A prayer book.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. A prayer book
- n. A book containing the prayers and responses needed when celebrating the Roman Catholic Mass throughout the year
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- adj. Of or pertaining to the Mass, or to a missal or Mass book.
- n. The book containing the service of the Mass for the entire year; a Mass book.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- Pertaining to the mass, or to the missal or Roman Catholic mass-book.
- n. In the Roman Catholic Church, the book containing all the liturgical forms necessary for celebrating mass throughout the year.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. (Roman Catholic Church) a book containing all the prayers and responses needed to celebrate Mass throughout the year
I hope these, however, will provide some basic textual considerations for the parish, and those which will continue to have application after the revised missal is formally issued.
The missal is priced under $20.00 USD on Amazon. com, being regularly priced at a mere $24.99.
The missal is also placed on the altar on the Epistle side.
Certainly, in the English speaking context, the present day project of the re-translation of the English of the Roman missal is one aspect of this very pursuit of a more adequate and satisfying approach, and for it we can be most thankful.
What is also notable about this missal is that it is, to my knowledge, the only usus antiquior pew missal which is completely up to date, including the revised Good Friday prayer.
Likewise, in this shared life, the newer missal may over time help bring the enrichment and reform to the older missal which is closer to the reform which the Second Vatican Council envisioned in the first place.
One day, one of us made bold and asked why he stopped so, and he received this answer, For the sung pieces, the missal only gives the text which lends itself to many interpretations.
Of these various "modern" editions of the Mozarabic missal, J.M. Neale so comments:
This is the Latin typical edition of the modern Roman missal, beautifully bound and typeset in the tradition of missal binding.
All of the baptismal rites, including the blessing of the font, have been moved to after the Gospel, according to the typical practice of the 1969 missal.
Wordnik is becoming a not-for-profit! Read our announcement here.