from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. Roman Catholic Church A book containing all the prayers and responses necessary for celebrating the Mass throughout the year.
- n. A prayer book.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. A prayer book
- n. A book containing the prayers and responses needed when celebrating the Roman Catholic Mass throughout the year
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. The book containing the service of the Mass for the entire year; a Mass book.
- adj. Of or pertaining to the Mass, or to a missal or Mass book.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- Pertaining to the mass, or to the missal or Roman Catholic mass-book.
- n. In the Roman Catholic Church, the book containing all the liturgical forms necessary for celebrating mass throughout the year.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. (Roman Catholic Church) a book containing all the prayers and responses needed to celebrate Mass throughout the year
Middle English messel, from Old French, from Medieval Latin missāle, from neuter of missālis, of the Mass, from Late Latin missa, Mass; see Mass.(American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)