American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition
- n. The main board of a computer, usually containing the circuitry for the central processing unit, keyboard, and monitor and often having slots for accepting additional circuitry.
- n. computer hardware the primary circuit board of a personal computer, containing the circuitry for the central processing unit, keyboard, mouse and monitor, together with slots for other devices
GNU Webster's 1913
- n. (Electronics) The board containing the main circuits of an electronic device, especially computers. The term is used primarily in microcomputer literature, where it designates the board containing the main expansion bus, and usually also the cpu. On motherboards designed with an expansion bus, often all of the circuits not contained on an expansion card are on the
- n. the main circuit board for a computer
- mother + board (Wiktionary)
“Is there any other kind of test we can do to determine if the motherboard is non-functional (which seems rather likely at this point)?”
“Yes the ATOM motherboard is a touch less powerful than many dual and quad core processors, but when you use a Linux OS with a gig of ram the tiny ATOM will surprise you.”
“It was sad because the front audio jack for headphones also did it, thus the motherboard is flawed in design.”
“It didn’t help that I have to jumper my drives to run at SATA 1 speeds instead of SATA 2: my ASUS P4C800-E deluxe motherboard is old enough that it will not recognize a SATA 2 drive, and without a PCI-E slot there’s as far as I can tell no point in getting a new sata drive controller card.”
“It had a 2006-vintage Celeron D motherboard, which is more than fast enough for the jobs that the server has to perform.”
“They take care of things we cannot even consciously imagine -- consider our enteric nervous system, our digestive system's motherboard, which is more important to our constitution than the central nervous system, and yet so little of what it does or how it operates is known.”
“Many of these are attached to the motherboard, which is costly to replace.”
“She then proclamied that the motherboard was fried and that for $99 I could ship it (my expense aslo) a service tech would look at it and diagnose the problem; but stated in her opinion the motherboard was the most likely culprit.”
“I also strongly suspect that the motherboard is a straight intel chipset motherboard, rather than either an ATI or Nvidia chipset motherboard, since it would be cheaper for apple when negotiating price with intel.”
“My motherboard is a rampage 2 extreme with i7 920 running at 3. 7ghz my memory is ..”
These user-created lists contain the word ‘motherboard’.
It seems that whenever I look away, new gadgets and devices and tools and dishes and utensils and ingredients are multiplying in my kitchen drawers and my cabinets.
Words only (I left out the expressions) from Geza Kerenyi's EN-HU interpreters' dictionary. Most of them pose some difficulty when interpreted between HU and EN in either or both directions.
Figurative 'mother' expressions.
Looking for tweets for motherboard.