from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. Ecology The condition of being stunted or dwarfed, as in certain climates.
- n. See dwarfism.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. Unusually small size, as a result of a developmental abnormality
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. The condition of being abnormally small in stature; dwarfism; dwarfishness; -- opposed to
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. Aberration from normal form by decrease in size; the character or quality of being dwarfed or pygmy; dwarfishness: opposed to gigantism.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. a genetic abnormality resulting in short stature
French nanisme, from Latin nānus, dwarf, from Greek nānos; see nano-.(American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)