American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition
- adj. Not one or the other; not either: Neither shoe feels comfortable.
- pro. Not either one; not the one or the other: Neither of the twins is here. Neither will do. Neither of them is incorrect.
- conj. Not either; not in either case. Used with the correlative conjunction nor: Neither we nor they want it. She neither called nor wrote. I got neither the gift nor the card.
- conj. Also not: If he won't go, neither will she.
- adv. Similarly not; also not: Just as you would not, so neither would they.
Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- Not either. See either.
- Not one or the other. See either, pron.
- Not either; not in either case: a disjunctive conjunction (the negative of either), preceding one of a series of two or more alternative clauses, and correlative with nor (or, formerly, neither or ne) before the following clause or clauses.
- Not in any case; in no case; not at all: used adverbially for emphasis at the end of the last clause, when this already contains a negative. This usage is no longer sanctioned by good authorities, either being now employed. See eitlier, conj., 2.
- And not; nor yet.
- not one of two; not either
- pro. not either one
- conj. not either (used with nor)
- adv. conjunctive similarly not
GNU Webster's 1913
- adj. Not either; not the one or the other.
- conj. Not either; generally used to introduce the first of two or more coördinate clauses of which those that follow begin with
- adj. not either; not one or the other
- Alteration (after either) of nauther, from Old English nawþer, contraction of nahwæþer, corresponding to no + whether. (Wiktionary)
- Middle English, from Old English nāwther, nāhwæther (influenced by æghwæther, ægther, either) : nā, not; see ne in Indo-European roots + hwæther, which of two; see kwo- in Indo-European roots. (American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)
“For his own part, Adams inclined to think that neither chaos nor death was an object to him as a searcher of knowledge, neither would have vogue in America, neither would help him to a career.”
“I ought to make him feel that I can do without his riches, that I cannot be bought, neither by comfort, neither by pride, and though I be utterly penniless, and receiving bread from him, that he is the poor man beside me.”
“_neuter_ means _neither; _ from which it follows, that neuter gender implies neither gender; that is, neither masculine nor feminine.”
“When he finished his term neither the Whigs (his own party) nor the Democrats would nominate him to run on his own.”
“But then again neither is Bush Cheney Rumsfeld either …”
“He threw the charm into the air and pointed at it, shouting a word neither Alanna nor George knew.”
““For fun,” Mira said, but that was a word neither of the Wards comprehended.”
“This coincidence seems to show that it is neither a Basque word, nor a”
“There is the kind of woman that ` ` has a career, '' using this term neither sarcastically nor flatteringly.”
“Donald Cerrone and Ben Henderson meet tomorrow night for a title neither really wants.”
These user-created lists contain the word ‘neither’.
A list of words that are odd or words that I have looked up.
Protagonists and relevant words in the Book of Creation (Source: King James Bible)
All words of the poem
by Gerard Nolst Trenité
Dearest creature in creation,
Study English pronunciation.
I will teach you in my verse <...
Words to be replaced by a paragraph mark if you are after terms and MWEs.
Words that have an I after an E after a letter that's not C.
(Given Saturday, March 4, 1865, Washington, D.C.)
At this second appearing to take the oath of the Presidential office there is less occasion for an extended a...
with all nations, among ourselves, a just and lastin..., cherish, achieve, to do all, for his widow and..., to care for him w..., to bind up the na..., let us strive on ..., with firmness in ..., with charity for all and 169 more...
Very basic words for ESL students.
Listening to this as an audio book for the second time. Tim O'Brien uses simple words and phrases to great effect. Very few unfamilar and big words . The writing style reminds me of words from Joh...
words that inquire into the nature of things
The spelling list for February 12th to the 16th.
Looking for tweets for neither.