from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. The cardinal number equal to 1030.
- n. Chiefly British The cardinal number equal to 1054.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. 1030.
- n. 1054.
- n. An unspecified very large number.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. According to the French and American notation, a thousand octillions, or a unit with thirty ciphers annexed; according to the English notation, a million octillions, or a unit with fifty-four ciphers annexed. See the Note under numeration.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. The number produced by involving a million to the ninth power, denoted by unity with fifty-four ciphers annexed; or, according to the French and American system of numeration, the number denoted by unity with thirty ciphers annexed.
The census estimated there were a mind-boggling "nonillion" -- or
Microbial cells in the oceans 'water column number roughly 10 to the 30th (called a nonillion; expressed another way: 1,000 x 1 billion x 1 billion x 1 billion) and collectively weigh the equivalent of 240 billion African elephants.
Marine census researchers calculate there are a "nonillion" of them.
What they lack in size they make up for in numbers: Marine census takers calculate there are a "nonillion" of them -- that's 1,000 times 1 billion, times 1 billion, times 1 billion.
May your campaign shatter into a nonillion fragments.
Unlike Proust, I will not write nonillion lines of societal gossip in the guise of complex sentences and endless descriptions of rooms.
Grigoriadis' choice of the word emasculated rubs me the wrong way up one side and down the other, for reasons I'm going to assume I've made evident in no fewer than a nonillion posts about defining strength, power, etc. in contradistinction to the feminine.
Goddamn, I hate Bill O'Reilly with the red hot fiery passion of a nonillion suns!
Romney loves the line item veto and he exercised it a nonillion times while he was governor.
Mama Shakes is all kinds of churched up—she does church stuff like a nonillion hours a week, including writing songs and singing in a gospel group—and her bedroom is seriously like a shrine to Harry Potter.
Wordnik is becoming a not-for-profit! Read our announcement here.