from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. The cardinal number equal to 1027.
- n. Chiefly British The cardinal number equal to 1048.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. A thousand trillion trillion, a billion billion billion: 1 followed by 27 zeros, 1027.
- n. A quadrillion quintillion: 1 followed by 48 zeros, 1048.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. According to the French method of numeration (which method is followed also in the United States) the number expressed by a unit with twenty-seven ciphers annexed. According to the English method, the number expressed by a unit with forty-eight ciphers annexed. See numeration.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. In Great Britain, the number produced by involving a million to the eighth power.
- n. In French and United States usage, one thousand raised to the ninth power.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. the number that is represented as a one followed by 27 zeros
oct(o)- + (m)illion.(American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)
oct- (“eight”) + -illion (Wiktionary)