from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. A polyhedron with eight plane surfaces.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. a polyhedron with eight faces; the regular octahedron has regular triangles as faces and is one of the Platonic solids.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. A solid bounded by eight faces. The regular octahedron is contained by eight equal equilateral triangles.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. A solid bounded by eight faces.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. any polyhedron having eight plane faces
From Ancient Greek ὀκτώ (oktō, "eight") + ἕδρα (hedra, "seat"). (Wiktionary)