from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- adj. Informal Becoming effective after only one attempt: looked for a one-shot solution to the problem.
- adj. Informal Being the only one and unlikely to be repeated: The funding was a one-shot deal.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- adj. needing only a single attempt to become effective.
- adj. unique.
- n. A television programme that is not part of a series.
- n. A cinematographic shot of a person talking to camera; a talking head.
- n. A monostable multivibrator.
- n. A type of long-lasting paint.
- n. A music sample that is played without immediate repetition.
- n. A headshot, especially in first-person shooters, or a single-hit kill in most RPGs.
- n. A story of only one chapter.
Sorry, no etymologies found.
Playing partner McIlroy finished seven over par after struggling to a 73 which saw him call a one-shot penalty on himself on the seventh green when his ball moved in a gust of wind as he addressed it.
In the past New Zealand's earthquakes have been characterized by one-shot blows, the first and most dangerous shake being followed over the next hours, at most, few days, with limited aftershocks as the earth's crust settles into its new conformation.
So-called one-shot experiments, which try to exclude the factors of repetition and reputation, are difficult to interpret.
Earlier editions of D&D supported all kinds of games without trouble: long epics; one-shot dungeon crawls; political backroom dealings; high fantasy, gritty fantasy; low, no, and high magic settings; heroic, everyman, anti-hero, and legendary characters; high-seas swashbuckling; tactical skirmishing; castle sieges. 1e through 3e could do all of those without house ruling, and without ignoring the majority of the system.
Actually, Reagan also signed a general amnesty legalizing all aliens in the United States as a one-shot.
Scott began the final round with a one-shot lead, shot a brilliant five-under-par 65 and finished four shots in front of Rickie Fowler and Luke Donald.
A pair of late birdies gave Tom Watson a one-shot lead Saturday after three rounds of the British Open in blustery conditions at Turnberry ....
The one-shot, Alien Spotlight: Tribbles, was all right, I guess.
Also a nice week for Star Trek with the debut of a new series and a one-shot.
Just finished up a Ten2/Rose one-shot set in the Forward Steps Along the Path universe and sent it off to you for beta.
Wordnik is becoming a not-for-profit! Read our announcement here.