from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. Any of several lichens, chiefly of the genera Roccella and Lecanora, from which a dye is obtained.
- n. The violet dyestuff obtained from any of these organisms.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. Any of several lichens, especially those of the genera Roccella and Lecanora.
- n. The dye, orcein, extracted from them.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. See archil.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. Same as archil.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. any of various lecanoras that yield the dye archil
- n. a purplish dye obtained from orchil lichens
Middle English orchell, ultimately from Old Catalan orxella, perhaps of Mozarabic origin.(American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)