from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. A special finish for velvet and satin that produces a high luster.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. a lustrous finish applied to velvet and satin
- n. a wetland consisting of a small depression, with or without standing water, often in a salt marsh or other coastal wetland
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. A fabric resembling velvet, but having the nap flat and less close.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. A soft, shining fabric, plain or printed, used for trimmings and dresses.
French, a soft cloth, from Old French penne, pane, fur lining, from Latin pinna, penna, feather; see penna.(American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)