from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. One that pardons: a pardoner of the sins of others.
- n. A medieval ecclesiastic authorized to raise money for religious works by granting papal indulgences to contributors.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. a medieval cleric who would sell pardons and indulgences
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. One who pardons.
- n. A seller of indulgences.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. One who pardons or forgives; one who absolves an offender from punishment or blame.
- n. One who is licensed to sell papal indulgences or pardons.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. a medieval cleric who raised money for the church by selling papal indulgences
- n. a person who pardons or forgives or excuses a fault or offense
to pardon + -er. (Wiktionary)