from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. A piece or strip, as of skin or vegetable rind, that has been peeled off.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. The act of removing the outer surface in strips.
- n. Strips of an outer rind or surface that has been removed.
- v. Present participle of peel.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. The act of stripping off the skin, rind, or bark of a thing; the stripping off of an outer covering or rind.
- n. That which is stripped off; rind, peel or skin stripped from the object which it covered or to which it belonged: as, potato-peelings.
- n. In printing, the art or act of removing from an impression-surface one or more layers of a paper overlay, to make a lighter impression.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. loss of bits of outer skin by peeling or shedding or coming off in scales
Sorry, no etymologies found.