from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- v. Present participle of pencil.
- n. Alternative spelling of pencilling.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. The work of the pencil or bruch.
- n. Lines of white or black paint drawn along a mortar joint in a brick wall.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. Marks made with a pencil, or as if with a pencil; marking in delicate lines, as that of certain flowers, or that on the feathers of some birds; specifically, with reference to the females of some varieties of the domestic hen, as the plumage of the partridge cochin and the dark brahma, a distinct and beautiful marking of the separate feathers in concentric lines.
Sorry, no etymologies found.
It is far more desirable for you as a submitting artist to be versed in penciling, inking, and writing.
Pansy varieties consist of combinations of color with black lines radiating out from the center (called penciling) and/or with a dark center called a 'face'.
Actually, I was looking forward to Mahnke’s art, his penciling was the only standout aspect of Joe Kelly’s run on JLA.
Rarely has a property been even close to "penciling" in the traditional sense.
Once the News disappeared into the trash bin of history, Plympton applied his remarkable penciling skills to making wacky short films that, over the years, have accrued him various critical accolades, awards, nominations and the headache of being a defiantly indie spirit.
Tejedor drew "Bird Drawing - Pacific Migrations" directly on the back wall of the gallery, penciling in the patterns of transcontinental bird migration.
As a result, every one of the country's 29 Republican governors has asked the federal government to waive the requirement, with New Jersey penciling a waiver into its budget.
Jack Shafer, who makes red-penciling the Times his stock-in-trade, was less forgiving.
Ah Benes, I liked his old style when he was penciling Gen 13 & Supergirl but to each his own.
During this time, he got some small jobs penciling and drawing with a comic called, The Shield.
Wordnik is becoming a not-for-profit! Read our announcement here.