American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition
- n. A theatrical production that has many of the musical elements of opera but is lighter and more popular in subject and style and contains spoken dialogue. Also called light opera.
Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. A short opera, generally of a light character and so belonging to the class of comic opera or opera bouffe.
GNU Webster's 1913
- n. (Mus.) A short, light, musical drama.
- n. a short amusing opera
- Borrowing from Italian operetta. (Wiktionary)
- Italian, diminutive of opera, opera; see opera1. (American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)
“Franz Lehár's operetta is the perfect titbit for a financial crisis, as it concerns the fiscal anxieties of a small European state whose entire GDP has ended up in a flighty young widow's jewellery drawer.”
“The operetta is the ironic utopia of an enduring reign of capital. —”
“Around the same time that Fred Astaire and Ginger Rogers were swinging their way into America's hearts with a snappy new American approach to movie musical comedy, another musical movie couple, Jeannette MacDonald and Nelson Eddy, made a huge success bringing to the screen and enlivening a dying European tradition of sentimental musical romance we call operetta.”
“He composed a very amusing so-called operetta using popular tunes at the time.”
“One of the characters in the operetta was a duchess whose adventures afforded the audience much diversion.”
“The show is an operetta, which is traditionally humorous.”
“I'm not sure why the "operetta" appellation has stuck, but to me it seems to be in the same genre as his other works, albeit with some waltzes and a lighter story.”
“He, too, would be quite satisfied not to hear the word "operetta" for a year.”
“I don't want to _hear_ the word 'operetta' again for a year! ”
These user-created lists contain the word ‘operetta’.
Cultural realia from Hungary.
I have only included realia that already have an English spelling variant and DID NOT include Hungarian words that would be used in English texts unchang...
Looking for tweets for operetta.