from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. A public ball, typically a masquerade, popular in the 18th century.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. A favorite Italian public entertainment, consisting of music and dancing, -- held generally on fast eves.
- n. An arrangement or abridgment of a piece from the full score.
- intransitive v. To hold ridottos.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. A house or hall of public entertainment.
- n. A company of persons met together for amusement; a social assembly.
- n. A public entertainment devoted to music and dancing; a dancing-party, often in masquerade.
- n. In music, an arrangement or reduction of a piece from the full score.
- To frequent or hold ridottos.
Italian ridotto ("foyer"). (Wiktionary)