from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. A formal ball, especially one at which young women are presented to society.
- n. A lively dance, originating in France in the 18th century, having varied, intricate patterns and steps.
- n. A quadrille.
- n. Music for these dances.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. A bold dance performed in groups of eight where ladies lift their skirts to display their ankles
- n. The music regulating the cotillion.
- n. A coming-of-age party meant to present girls newly transitioned into womanhood to the community for courtship
- n. A kind of woollen material for women's skirts.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. A lively French dance, originated in the eighteenth century, for two, eight, or even more performers, and consisting of a variety of steps and figures; specifically, an elaborate series of figures, often known in the United States as the german. The term is now often used as a generic name for several different kinds of quadrille.
- n. Music arranged or played for a dance.
- n. A black-and-white woolen fabric used for women's skirts.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. a ball at which young ladies are presented to society
- n. a lively dance originating in France in the 18th century
The cotillion was the ruling dance; the plain waltz and hop waltz came in for their share of favor.
Eh? Anyway, a cotillion is a leap-year dance; on such an occasion you are our natural prey!
"The cotillion is a wonderful experience that young women throughout the years have cherished," Dean said.
In the United States, a debutante ball is also sometimes called a cotillion or a coming-out party.
Well, this past Saturday I lined up for my first ever 35+ mens open race and first criterium or "cotillion" as my mother in law says of the season.
The "cotillion" or voting materials may be incomplete.
For six weeks before St. Patrick's day, a small group of residents put their best powers of invention and construction into preparation for a cotillion which is like a pageant in its gayety and vigor.
As global television is today demonstrating to the world in stark reality, the "Tea Party" is to revolution what a debutante cotillion is to the Vietnam War.
Tea Party is to revolution what a debutante cotillion is to the Vietnam War.
As global television is today demonstrating t o the world in stark reality, the "Tea Party" is to revolution what a debutante cotillion is to the Vietnam War.
Wordnik is becoming a not-for-profit! Read our announcement here.