from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. The dense fibrous membrane covering the surface of bones except at the joints and serving as an attachment for muscles and tendons.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. A membrane surrounding a bone.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. The membrane of fibrous connective tissue which closely invests all bones except at the articular surfaces.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. The enveloping membrane of bones; a dense fibrous membrane firmly investing the surface of bones, except where they are covered by cartilage.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. a dense fibrous membrane covering the surface of bones (except at their extremities) and serving as an attachment for tendons and muscles; contains nerves and blood vessels that nourish the enclosed bone
New Latin, from Late Latin periosteon, from Greek, from periosteos, around the bone : peri-, peri- + osteon, bone; see ost- in Indo-European roots.(American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)
From Ancient Greek περί (peri, "about, around") + ὀστέον (osteon, "bone"). (Wiktionary)