American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition
- n. A sac or saclike bodily cavity, especially one containing a viscous lubricating fluid and located between a tendon and a bone or at points of friction between moving structures.
Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. In anatomy and zoology, a pouch, sac, or vesicle: variously applied with a qualifying term.
- n. [capitalized] A genus of dicotyledonous plants of the family Brassicaceæ. See Capsella and shepherd's-purse.
- n. anatomy Any of the many small fluid-filled sacs located at the point where a muscle or tendon slides across bone. These sacs serve to reduce friction between the two moving surfaces.
GNU Webster's 1913
- n. (Anat.) Any sac or saclike cavity; especially, one of the synovial sacs, or small spaces, often lined with synovial membrane, interposed between tendons and bony prominences.
- n. a small fluid-filled sac located between movable parts of the body especially at joints
- n. a city in northwestern Turkey
- From the Medieval Latin bursa ("purse"); compare purse. (Wiktionary)
- Late Latin, purse, pouch, from Greek, skin, wineskin. (American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)
“The spermatheca (also called the bursa copulatrix) is an organ that can't be exchanged, while a spermatophore is a packet of sperm that is given to a slug's (or a snail's) partner during mating and may or may not be stored in the spermatheca.”
“The observations made by Dr. Brauell, the first Continental writer to fully describe the disease, led him to the statement that neither the bone nor the bursa was the”
“The peritoneal cavity gives off a large diverticulum, the omental bursa, which is situated behind the stomach and adjoining structures; the neck of communication between the cavity and the bursa is termed the epiploic foramen (foramen of Winslow).”
“Our guess is that it is a Tropical Fowl Mite, Ornithonyssus bursa, which is profiled on the Featured Creatures website.”
“A further op was needed in 2008 when a scan revealed that a sac of fluid called a bursa and a bundle of tangled nerves called a neuroma had developed at the stump.”
“Shoulder Pain Exercises That Helped to Fix My Shoulder The bursa is a sac of fluid that helps to protect the shoulder joint as it moves.”
“A bursa is a fluid filled sac that allows extra protection for the tendons on motion between two uneven surfaces.”
“Dengan mempertimbangkan PT Bakrie & Brothers Tbk telah menyampaikan keterbukaan informasi mengenai rencana penjualan saham PT Bakrie & Brothers Tbk di PT Energi Mega Persada Tbk, maka bursa memutuskan untuk mencabut suspensi Perdagangan Efek PT Bakrie & Brothers Tbk dan PT Energi Mega Persada Tbk di seluruh pasar," kata Kadiv Perdagangan BEI, Supandi, dalam keterbukaan informasi Selasa.”
“Merillat consider curb as a synovitis having for its seat the synovial bursa which is situated between the superficial flexor tendon”
“The "bursa" is a square case opening at one side only and covered and lined with silk or linen; one side should be of the colour of the vestments of the day.”
These user-created lists contain the word ‘bursa’.
"Luciferous Logolepsy is a collection of over 9,000 obscure English words. Though the definition of an 'English' word might seem to be straightforward, it is not. There exist so many adopted, deriv...
Words pertaining to the profession of medicine
List for a workshop on vocabulary
Words related to cavity or hollow.
Words related to bag or sack.
Looking for tweets for bursa.