American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition
- n. An injury in which the skin is not broken; a bruise.
Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. The act of beating and bruising, or the state of being bruised.
- n. The act of reducing to powder or fine particles by beating or pounding.
- n. In surgery, a bruise; a hurt or injury to the flesh or some part of the body without breach of integument or apparent wound, as one inflicted by a blunt instrument or by a fall.
- n. A wound, such as a bruise, in which the skin is not broken; often having broken blood vessels and discolouration
GNU Webster's 1913
- n. The act or process of beating, bruising, or pounding; the state of being beaten or bruised.
- n. (Med.) A bruise; an injury attended with more or less disorganization of the subcutaneous tissue and effusion of blood beneath the skin, but without apparent wound.
- n. an injury that doesn't break the skin but results in some discoloration
- n. the action of bruising
- From Middle French contusion, from Latin contusionem, from contusus, past participle of contundere ("to beat"), from com- + tundere ("to beat"). (Wiktionary)
“Shanahan said he met with McNabb last Tuesday to discuss the quarterback's various injuries - sore hamstrings and a shin contusion among them - and asked McNabb whether he was healthy enouugh to play at Detroit.”
“C Gerald Laird (left shin contusion) was injured May 4, and he hasn't played since.”
“Edmonton LW and captain Ethan Moreau has yet to play this season because of a left ankle contusion from the preseason. ...”
“During the action General Meade received a slight contusion from a spent grapeshot, and had two horses killed under him.”
“Rookie Michael Beasley added 20 points for Miami and briefly left the game with what the Heat described as a left shin contusion.”
“Los Angeles also was short-handed, playing without center Chris Kaman, the league's third-leading rebounder at 13.9, who sat out with a left shin contusion.”
“He was later declared to have a left shoulder contusion, which is another word for a bruise.”
“The cause of death for all 20 victims was chest contusion, meaning they were crushed to death, said Hannelore Kraft, the state governor of North Rhine-Westphalia, where Duisburg is located.”
“Calvillo was suffering from a "contusion" on his sternum, the team said during a press conference Friday.”
“The working diagnosis at this point is a "contusion" to his thumb.”
These user-created lists contain the word ‘contusion’.
A complete Barron's Wordlist for GRE preparation. Your online flashcard replacement.
No particular specification to this list.
Words I've heard/read in use, words being learnt, words that I want to eventually use in everyday language, words that are high-brow and elitist and scholarly and obscure, words that display the wo...
List of most of the words I've learned
My big word list.
I found several pages of words in an old notebook. By the looks of it, they were words I learnt some time ago (and subsequently wrote down) from books by Patrick O'Brian and China Mieville, two aut...
Looking for tweets for contusion.